ABOUT THE CLUB
Illabarook Football Netball Club
The Illabarook Football Club first existed in their own right at the commencement of the inaugural season of the Rokewood and Cape Clear Districts Football Association in 1925. This League initially consisted of Cape Clear, Illabarook, Scarsdale, Corindhap, Carngham and Rokewood.
The 1937 season saw Illabarook on the move, seeking sterner challenges. Affiliating with the somewhat stronger Western Plains Football League the club reached the preliminary final in its debut season, and the following year won a flag in unusual circumstances at the expense of a Beeac team which actually won the grand final on the scoreboard, 9-5-59 to 6-10-46. However, it later emerged that Beeac had been guilty of fielding an ineligible player, whereupon the league ruled that the premiership be awarded to Illabarook.
The WPFL went into recess owing to the war from 1941 to 1945, and when it resumed Illabarook promptly added another flag to its haul. As with the 1938 premiership this one was won in unusual fashion via a grand final replay after the initial clash between Illabarook and Rokewood-Corindhap was drawn. The Bulldogs won the replay by 26 points, 8-9-57 to 4-7-31. Two years later, they once again qualified for the grand final, only to lose heavily to Lismore.
After a prolonged period of under-achievement Illabarook entered a brief halcyon phase during the late 1980s. Between 1987 and 1991 the seniors contested every grand final, for wins in 1988 against Cressy, and 1991 at the expense of Carngham Linton.
When the Lexton Football League and WPFL merged to form the Lexton Plains Football League in 1999 the Bulldogs were one of the new competition's eleven inaugural members and have enjoyed unbroken participation ever since.
Rokewood and Cape Clear District Football Association (RCCDFA)/Cape Clear-Carngham DFA (CCCDFA)/Linton-Carngham DFA (LCDFA) - 1929-30-1-2-3-4-5-6; Western Plains Football League 1938, 1946, 1988, 1991
Senior: 1929 – 1930 – 1931 – 1932 – 1933 – 1934 – 1935 – 1936 – 1938 – 1946 – 1988 – 1991 –
Smythesdale Football Netball Club
Having shifted from its original ground in Illabrook to the growing town of Smythesdale in 1999, the club finally decided to fully embrace the move by becoming the Smythesdale FNC.
The Illabrook footy ground and netball courts were closed down and the Dogs, by now in a competition called the Lexton Plains league, made a new home at an impressive council-run facility in Smythesdale.
By 2014 season, Illabrook changed their name to the Smythesdale Football Netball Club and joined the Central Highland Football Netball League after the Lexton Plains closed down.